quarta-feira, 24 de junho de 2020

Let's learn Portuguese. video 5 - popular expressions

One of the things I like the most of learning a new language is the popular expressions. It's so fun how an expression can describe perfectly a situation or something we are willing to explain.
In English, we have so many! If we do a literal translate, it will make no sense; for example, if I try to translate to Portuguese "no way", "you got it" etc.

From Paraguay, where I lived for 2 years, the expression that I love is "sí o sí", meaning something that is certain. Sí o sí me voy a dormir temprano (no matter what, I will sleep early).
From Switzerland, where I lived for 3 years, I adopted the expression "c'est pas evident". We can always translate it to "it's not obvious" or "não é evidente" (in Portuguese), but it doesn't sound the same as it is in French.

So from time to time I will post some typical Brazilian expressions, ok? I hope you will have fun learning them.

Yesterday, in my Polish class, I was trying to explain to the teacher what "mão fechada" means. If we do a literal translate to English it would be "closed hand". Can you guess what does it mean? She said in Polish it would be "mam węża w kieszeni" (I have a snake in my pocket).
Mão fechada means someone who doesn't like to spend money. And the opposite of it is being "mão aberta" (open hand) meaning someone who spend money or to give money away.

Eu sou mão fechada e meu marido é mão aberta para os nossos filhos (it means that my husband is more generous than me about giving money away to our children) 

How do you define yourself? Mão aberta ou mão fechada?



Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário

News from Brasília 10/14/2020

Hello! How have you been lately? Sorry I haven't written for the past days. Kids had a school break and we made a road trip around Cen...