sexta-feira, 15 de maio de 2020

News from Brazil 05/15/2020

Some weeks ago, I gave a break of the local news to explain why Moro's resignation from the Ministry of Justice had so much impact in Brazil. Today this post is not about Brasilia, but about Brazil.
I've just heard that the Minister of Health (the second one in one month) resigned. In the middle of the health crisis due to the pandemia of coronavirus.
So, I guess I should do a brief explanation about the political situation in Brazil. It is not a good situation, unfortunately. I am so proud to be Brazilian, I love to talk about my country, but I can't deny that what it's happening now makes me sad and worried.

Who is who?
Bolsonaro - president of Brazil
Mandetta- former Minister of Health
Teich- actual Minister of Health. He resigned today
Doria- Governor of Sao Paulo, the richest State of Brazil

Photo: Miguel Schincariol/ AFP The Guardian
Protests against president Bolsonaro

President Bolsonaro has made polemic declarations since the first cases of coronavirus in Brazil. Even after some deaths, he said it was nothing serious and that if he caught the virus, he would be OK.

Bolsonaro is against horizontal isolation, he defends the vertical isolation. It was a big point of conflict with Mandetta. The former Minister of Health gained a lot of respect of governors and the population while conducting the efforts to fight the pandemia. But Bolsonaro repeatedly acted against the recommendations, interacting with his supporters and insisting in the use of chloroquine, just to give some examples. When Mandetta gave an interview in a very popular attraction of TV Globo called Fantastico, it was clear that he and the president were having serious disagreements. Few days later, Mandetta resigned. And there were protests from the population (from their windows, people bang pots and pans). Teich recently said that lockdown may be an option in cities where the coronavirus situation is out of control. And just as his predecessor, Mandetta, Teich also was careful about the use of chloroquine. 

Bolsonaro has been criticized by many politicians and Governors. Doria, just after Teich's resignation was announced, once again made harsh declarations against Bolsonaro. 

Well, political situation in Brazil is impossible to put in only few words. I hope I didn't overwhelm you.  And I do hope I can share good news in the future.
About the coronavirus in Brasilia, as I've written before, the situation in DF is not at all as bad as in other States of Brazil. Anyway the cases are increasing, we had more deaths today. Please take care of yourself and remember the use of mask is compulsory now.
Have a great weekend!


Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário

News from Brasília 10/14/2020

Hello! How have you been lately? Sorry I haven't written for the past days. Kids had a school break and we made a road trip around Cen...